** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. ** MESSAGE FOLLOWS: Dear all,

A reminder that tomorrow at 3pm, Dr Hiromasa Fujihara will present the seminar 'Computational Recognition of Singing Voices in Polyphonic Music based on Statistical Approach'.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering building, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary and details of future seminars can be found at http://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/newsevents/researchgroupevents.php?i=12. The room is under access control, so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 7480 and if I'm not available, anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from outside Queen Mary, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's stuck outside the doors.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Tomorrow's seminar (22 February, 3pm):

Title:
Computational Recognition of Singing Voices in Polyphonic Music based on Statistical Approach

Speaker:
Hiromasa Fujihara (National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Japan)

Abstract:
When humans listen to singing voices, they distinguish these voices from sound mixtures that include not only singing voices but also the sounds of other instruments and environmental noise. However, compared to this innate ability of humans to recognize the real world auditory scene, the ability of current computer to do so is still inadequate. In this talk, we will describe our efforts to tackle the problem of computational recognition of singing voices in polyphonic music. In particular, considering that vocal timbre, melody, and lyrics as the essential elements of singing voices, we will address the following four tasks that correspond to the above elements: 1) singer identification and its application to vocal-timbre-similarity-based MIR, 2) F0 estimation of vocal part in polyphonic music, 3) automatic synchronization between music and lyrics, and 4) concurrent estimation of F0 and phoneme of singing voices.

Bio:
Dr Hiromasa Fujihara is a Research Scientist of the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba, Japan. He joined AIST in 2007 after graduating the master course of Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan. He received his PhD degree in Informatics from Kyoto University in 2010. His research interests include singing information processing and music information retrieval.

Emmanouil Benetos
--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)
School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science

C4DM Web-site : http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/digitalmusic/index.html