Hi everyone,

I am trying to develop some educational guidelines for student midwives and education video's based around effective consultation style.
I believe that traditionally student midwives have 'learnt' their consultation style from working alongside and observing their mentors in the practice area. I am just not sure that this is always an effective way of students 'modelling' their future interaction and partnerships with women.

I have read 'The Inner Consultation' by Roger Neighbour but this is largely written for GP's. I really like certain aspects of his book especially where he discusses 'two heads' the 'organiser' and the 'responder', there are also many other valuable parts of the book which could be applied to midwifery.

I have attempted to make a search of PubMed using keywords, consultation, midwifery, teaching, students without much success. Can anyone suggest any further keywords or does anyone have any literature on the subject?

many thanks
--
Pam Harnden
Honorary Research Fellow & Research Assistant Melbourne University