Chapter Houses in Europe often have altars, for example in an eastern chapel (two examples, collegiate Roncesvalles, now in northern Spain; Fransiscan Santa Croce, Florence). But this never happens in England, and I've often wondered why. So very interested in any further examples from English contexts.

Jon

Web:
http://joncannon.wordpress.com (blog and main website)
http://joncannonschurches.wordpress.com (subsidiary blog)

> Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:34:28 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [M-R] Carthusian chapter houses
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Looking at the groundplans of some English Charterhouses recently, I
> noticed that the chapter house adjoined the presbytery of the chapel,
> and had an altar marked (and I vaguely remember an altar in the chapter
> house at Parkminster.) Does anyone know the reason for this? And were
> the Carthusians unique in having altars in their chapter houses?
>
> John Briggs

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]