On Monday, January 31, 2011, at 4:21 pm, Meg Cormack wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder if the learned list-members could point me in the direction
> of early discussions of the afterlife in the first 4 centuries of
> Christianity, or subsequently in eastern traditions? I´m examining
> western medieval concepts of the immediate (and not so immediate) fate
> of the soul, and would like directions to primary sources (or good
> secondary ones) on this topic in English. I know there are
> histories of heaven and hell out there, I´d actually like to find
> something that deals with both options, and /or other possibilities,
> especially in the eastern churches, but I don´t read Greek.
> Meg

Dear Meg,

You should get some good pointers from John M. Dillon, ed., _The Afterlife of the Platonic Soul: Reflections of Platonic Psychology in the Monotheistic Religions_ (Leiden: Brill, 2009), esp. Dirk Krausmüller's contribution on pp. 47-76: "Faith and Reason in Late Antiquity: The Perishability Axiom and its Impact on Christian Views about the Origin and Nature of the Soul".

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]