Dear colleagues,

I sit on the Advisory Board for something called the 'Resource Discovery
Task Force <http://rdtf.jiscinvolve.org/wp/>  ' - a cross-industry body
that has been asked to look at ways of integrating content from museums,
archives and libraries into academic Resource Discovery to support
research in the HE/FE sector.

I have posted onto Collections Link the JISC Vision document
<http://www.collectionslink.org.uk/index.cfm?ct=assets.assetDisplay/titl
e/JISC%20Vision%20of%20Resource%20Discovery%20Infrastructure/assetId/669
> , which sets out how museum content can be aggregated into the HE/FE
environment and delivered to researchers via the new generation of
discovery services. With support from the JISC, the Collections Trust
will be working with the RDTF to integrate the Culture Grid
<http://www.culturegrid.org.uk/>  and Europeana
<http://www.europeana.eu/>  into this resource discovery infrastructure.

While many eyes are on the Arts Council in their new role for museum
policy, it is important to remember that JISC and HE remain an important
partner for museums in the digital agenda. To inform my participation in
this group, I would really welcome thoughts from the list on the
following questions:

1.       Is the provision of content (metadata, data and images) in a
proactive way to the HE/FE sector a current priority for your museum?

2.       How willing is your institution to make the body of your
collections-based information available for aggregation so that it can
be shared (for free) with researchers and learners?

3.       What would prevent you from making Collections data available
to the HE/FE sector in this way?

4.       What is the most valuable thing we could do to increase the
value for museums of making content available to the HE/FE community?

Please do also comment on the JISC document, either here on the list or
via Collections Link or on Twitter (tag #rdtf)

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Nick

Nick Poole

Chief Executive

Collections Trust

Tel: 0207 022 1889

OpenCulture 2011
The Greatest Collections Management Show on Earth!
The Custard Factory, Birmingham, 7th & 8th June 2011
Register online at www.openculture2011.org.uk
<http://www.openculture2011.org.uk>

  <http://www.openculture2011.org.uk/>

http://www.collectionstrust.org.uk

http://www.collectionslink.org.uk

http://openculture.collectionstrustblogs.org.uk

Follow us on Twitter: @collectiontrust
<http://www.twitter.com/collectiontrust>

Follow me on Twitter: @nickpoole1

Contact me on Skype: nickpoole3

Connect via LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=5289899&locale=en_US&trk=tab_pro

Company Registration No: 1300565

Registered Charity No: 273984

Registered Office: Collections Trust c/o CAN Mezzanine, Downstream
Building, No1 London Bridge, London SE1 9BG

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg