Courses from CILIP Training & Development this Spring. Don't forget, CILIP Members receive up to 40% discount on all our courses.
Becoming a charity
6 & 7 April 2011
As public libraries face new pressures in a rapidly changing economic, technological and social environment, many are having to reconsider their governance model. What is involved in becoming a charity?  This course looks at the pros and cons, giving you scope to consider if this is an appropriate option in your authority.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS

*         Definitions of charity and where libraries fit

*         The pros and cons of becoming a library

*         Applying for charitable status: processes and paperwork

*         Using volunteers appropriately

*         Fundraising opportunities

*         Legal, governance and financial issues

FULL DETAILS: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/becoming-a-charity.aspx

Cutting-edge Internet search techniques
Efficient searching of the Internet can be invaluable when dealing with enquiries. However simply entering a few keywords is sometimes not enough! This hands-on and highly practical course will reveal the nature of the Internet, and help you discover the most appropriate ways to find relevant materials.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS

*         How to think when searching

*         World wide web, invisible web, human web - a look at the choices and access possibilities

*         Search engines and directories: their range and applications - which for what?

*         Discovery tools - intelligent agents, discussion finders, text mining, other search software Advanced search strategy logic - key templates

FULL DETAILS: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/cutting-edge-internet-search-techniques.aspx

Moving on in MARC 21: potential impact of RDA
5 May 2011 half-day (PM)
The successor to AACR2, Resource Description and Access (RDA) has arrived. Offering a tool for a far wider audience than the traditional cataloguing community, RDA brings data capture and data description and control into the 21st century. What impact will RDA have on the content of the MARC 21 bibliographic record? This half-day programme  explores the changes to the format.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS

*         RDA in MARC 21 community

*         RDA in bibliographic records

*         New MARC 21 fields for RDA

FULL DETAILS: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/moving-on-in-marc-21-potential-impact-of-rda.aspx

Data analysis: using stats to make a case
Librarians across all sectors increasingly have to collect statistical data in order to present a case - whether it be for a new service; to demonstrate value for money, or to present impact outcomes.  This course explains statistical concepts and calculations, step-by-step, in plain English, and introduces Excel as a tool to make an effective case using visual charts and graphs.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS

*         Statistics in the library and information context

*         Using data to identify trends

*         Excel tools and techniques

FULL DETAILS: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/data-analysis-using-stats-to-make-a-case.aspx

Essential skills for library and information staff
12 & 13 April 2011
Ideal for those new to working in a library or information service or as a refresher, this two-day course covers the core skills needed from basic enquiry handling skills, to cataloguing and classification, to library management and promoting your service. A popular CILIP course that always books fast!

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS

*         Understanding your role

*         Keeping order, controlled language indexing and thesaurus construction

*         Library databases

*         Managing your time

*         Dealing with difficult users

FULL DETAILS: http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/essential-skills-lis-staff.aspx

Don't forget all CILIP Members receive a 40% discount on all our training courses.
Browse all our courses online: http://www.cilip.org.uk/training
Can't make it to our London training venue? Why not have our training brought to you with our Onsite training programme. Any of the above courses can be delivered direct to your workplace if you have 5 or more people with training needs.
Find out more:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/onsite