From: Graham Herbing Lib Customer Services Supervisor Basildon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Please reads, so very very true!
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, 4 February, 2011, 12:45

I disagree……..

In fact, for the first time in my life I
felt irritated enough to post a comment on the article!!

What ‘chipped away at the librarian’s role’, is the
internet. Most people can (with the aid of Google) meet their own information
needs from the comfort of their home. Thus councils, who have run libraries for
many years, now provide information differently, and in a way that provides
value for money. A librarian in every branch would be a whole bunch of very
bored librarians.

As for self service depriving the staff of interaction with the public,
the opposite is true. The interaction used to be hurrying one reader out of the
way to get to the rest of the queue. Now, with a significant amount of readers
using the self service staff are able to spend more quality time with those who
need assistance, often the ‘most vulnerable’ you mention.

In a world where information is readily and freely available, and books
cheap, (often free in e-format - particularly classics!) the traditional old
style library you long for would not survive. Inescapably, the new ‘temple
of learning’ is the World Wide Web. Libraries need to be so much more
than they were if they are to survive at the heart of their communities.

Libraries have always been about empowerment (access to information and
learning, and an important contributor to democracy). They still are. Open to
all, and with access to a vast array of resources to suit everyone, they
deliver the same as they always have. If you don’t recognise this, Sophia,
then maybe it is you viewing the past through your ‘rose-tinted
spectacles’.

My personal views of course, not those of
the service I work for…. (though they may not always be that dissimilar)

Graham

Graham
Herbing

Customer Services Supervisor, Basildon
Library.

Libraries Service

Adults, Health and Community Wellbeing

Essex County Council | telephone: 01268 288533 | email: [log in to unmask]

P Please
consider the environment before printing this e-mail