Desmond Clarke

From: "Roy Clare"

Hello, Desmond, thank you for noting my comment about "no magic wand".

Also on the record is my oft-repeated statement that the public locally
need to fight for the libraries they deserve; the young mother in Somerset
is a fine example.

Local authorities are squeezed between the proverbial hard choices; the
nation is bust, the library service in some places is in need of
modernisation (including some re-distribution of service points and some
closures); and yet everyone agrees on the vital importance of reading and
free access to media and information....new media and digital services are
emerging in a promising way, but the infrastructure is yet to join up and
the public are not all ready for full-blown on-line services. Tough options
ensue; of course it's a blood-stained episode, and has a long way still to
run; many Councils have no choice other than to maintain pressure on costs.

The MLA does not have a mandate to lobby publicly, but we are far from
"mute" behind the scenes. The present government launched the Future
Libraries Programme within months of taking office; the last government took
two years to deliver a rather vague and toothless Review. It's not for me to
make political points, but in purely practical terms I know which approach I
favour. Even if little and unavoidably late, the FLP is provoking the right
kind of aggregation and new-think. The second phase will broaden its reach
during 2011.

My message is consistent: public libraries are for all, not the few; some
closures are inevitable and local people need to organise themselves and be
clear what they really want. Decisions remain with Councils, who must
consult properly and set clear strategies or risk challenge under the Act;
charging for library services is not on, but arm's length arrangements may
be legitimate options. Digital dimensions need to be brought along as
rapidly as possible (Martha Lane Fox's work is relevant and timely).

The MLA is still on the ball, hard at work, even while pulling down the
blinds and preparing to sell the furniture. I remain confident that the
improvement services, expertise and the professional advice we represent
will continue to be available in a new form in due course. More anon.

Circulate to your list if you wish.

Kind regards,