Hi Wendy,
I like the idea of guidelines, but am interested to know why you picked these particular figures.

I think the realism will be based very much on size of bookfunds over the next few years, but I can certainly see that some sort of figure for spend for Visually Impaired library users based on the likely percentage they form of the population might be useful.

Alyson Hogarth
Stock Manager
Middlesbrough Libraries and Information
01642 729420

'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
Neil Gaiman

Wendy Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>

22/02/2011 14:44
Please respond to
Wendy Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Good practice recommendations for large print and audio acquisitions

RNIB is putting together some good practice recommendations for public libraries purchasing of large print and audio.  Based on the evidence of best practice we have, RNIB is recommending that public libraries purchase:
10 hard copy audio titles per 1000 resident population per annum
20 large print titles per 1000 resident population per annum
I would be grateful for any feedback on how helpful and realistic these guidelines are.
Many thanks
Wendy

Wendy Taylor
Librarian, Bibliographic Services
RNIB National Library Service
Far Cromwell Road
Bredbury
Stockport
SK6 2SG
Tel:      0161 355 2093
Email: [log in to unmask]

Even though your eyesight might be fine, your eyes aren't necessarily healthy. An eye test could save your sight www.rnib.org.uk/happyeyes

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Middlesbrough Council. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Middlesbrough Council does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged, and are solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone and notify the sender at the above address. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted, in reliance on the contents, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Middlesbrough Council's computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Save energy, money and the environment - is it really necessary to print this message?

** This email has been scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **