There has been a very interesting debate on this thread but I can't help noticing that the SINTO briefing on Library campaigns has not attracted a lot of bookings so far and that very few heads of service or senior librarians from our region have booked.

I appreciate that library heads are very busy people but the debate on this thread suggests that it is an important topic and the speakers we have - Alan Gibbons, Tim Coates, Annie Mauger and Lauren Smith - should make for an interesting and informative afternoon.

Are there other reasons? Heads of service have a strong ethical stance that they should not publically disagree with decisions reached by their councils. However the programme for this event makes it clear that this is not a "Save our Libraries" campaign meeting but a professional discussion of the issues . The CILIP code of ethics says:

"One of the distinguishing features of professions is that their knowledge and skills are at the service of society at large, and do not simply serve the interests of the immediate customer. Members should therefore: 1. Consider the public good, both in general and as it refers to particular vulnerable groups, as well as the immediate claims arising from their employment and their professional duties…" I can see no ethical reason why heads of service should not be present.

It is possible of course that councils are putting explicit or implicit pressure on staff not to attend an event that could be regarded as "political". Or are staff just playing safe?

Anyway, places are available and senior public librarians in our region or beyond are welcome to participate.

http://extra.shu.ac.uk/sinto/Events/events.html#tent

Carl Clayton