I think its a bit ironic now that libraries are all at risk. Now libraries are being discussed and promoted (although, maybe not enough on Save Our Libraries Day in some libraries!!!!).

I've always believed that promotion and marketing of libraries has to go back to local branches themselves. Its fine to have national campaigns for book events or even promoting the Central Library, but I know of people living in large suburban communities not even realising there is a local library nearby! and new housing being built we are not targeting.
People are put off coming through the doors, so we need to go through theirs, if it means sending out flyers or newletters of new books, events, library services and offers, then so be it.  We need to pick up speed on marketing and bring it closer to the public and be more pro active. I'd like to hear what others think about this?

I think Francis's point is interesting, and would love to know whats been done higher up?:-

"What I would like to know is
Have Chief Librarians/ Directors of cultural services been consulted
Have they had a chance to put forward options (e.g. working with other departments, co location., shared back room services etc.)
Ed Vaisey are asking the users to put forward options!?

If these senior staff have not been asked , why not?

A proper organisation review of spending and cuts would slice the cake more appropriately surely across the council, or more sensibly across the libraries, based on facts and figures

Manchester has just announced cuts in libraries, bathing pools etc."

Liverpool City Council will find out in the next week or so...! : (((

Helen G