I don't disagree, in one sense. I think that, using a basic definition
of the word, the Mitchell is accessible (even from Drumchapel, as the
9 bus will take you right there). What I am talking about, however, is
more than just being able to get there. I am talking about making the
library easy to get to and use. Just to be clear, I am not veering in
the direction of the bookstore model (though attracting patrons is a
thread of this). I really don't care how nice the library coffee shop
is; if I have to take two buses to get there, I probably will not go
at all.

I like the example of too-steep stairs deterring mothers with prams,
by the way, it reminds me of the children's section of the local
public library where I grew up!

Cristina