A Forgotten World: Florentine Patricians as Patrons, Collectors, Cultural Brokers under Medici rule (1530-1743)
Date: 3-5 March 2011
Location: Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
Conference fee: €50 (entire conference) / €25 (for students and PhD-students) / €35 (One day)
Registration: online

The flourishing cultural life of the Florentine patricians during the principate of the Medici has been forgotten or ignored for a long time. There has been little interest in patricians as commissioners of palaces, villas and chapels, as participants in academies and confraternities, and in patrician engagement in literature, theatre, music and art. In the twentieth century historians have systematically portrayed the patricians as sycophant courtiers, only interested in gaining titles and estates. The fact that reality was much more complex and dynamic, has become clear only in the last two decades. Through groundbreaking research in the field of socio-economic history, prosopography and political science, the image we have of the Florentine patrician is now changing. These studies show that patricians, as a group, were still holding on to most of the economic and institutional power they had obtained in the fifteenth century. The studies also show that patrician diplomatic missions played an important role in the arranging of marriages and foreign politics of the Medici. Remarkable is that this historical revisionism is taken up only by a few cultural historians, even though we now know that the contribution of patricians to the cultural dynamics of early modern Florence was highly significant.

The ambition of this conference is to consider the cultural contribution of patricians to the Florentine society and to discuss this from an interdisciplinary perspective. The main question we will address is: how can we distinguish these dynamics that are already observed by economical and political disciplines, in the cultural field? Other relevant questions are: how can we compare the cultural activities and self-representation of the patricians to that of the Medici? Did patricians only imitate the example of the court or did they facilitate the Medici?
Did they emulate the grand dukes or were they seeking to rebel against them? Were the cultural objectives of the patricians united, or did they differ among families or groups? By stimulating the debate on an international level, we hope to shed more light on the nature and intentions of patrician art patronage and their collecting activities in this period.

For more information, the programme and registration:
http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/icog/conferenties/florentinepatricians/index

Organizing committee:
Chair: Henk van Veen (University of Groningen)
Elisa Goudriaan (University of Leiden)
Klazina Botke (University of Groningen)
Bouk Wierda (University of Groningen)

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html