(Reposted from [log in to unmask] - please copy replies to [log in to unmask])

Subject: The quack doctor William Salmon (1644-1713)

From:    "Ben Breen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Thu, February 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Dear colleagues,

Does anyone on the list have any information regarding the London writer and quack doctor William Salmon (1644-1713), self-professed "Professor of physick" and author of several popular medical texts including *Medicina Practica, Pharmacopeia Londinensis, Polygraphice* etc.? I've consulted his Oxford DNB entry and the mentions in Allen Debus, ed. *Medicine in Seventeenth Century England* (Berkeley, 1974) and in Craig Ashley Hanson's recent work on the English virtuoso, but have yet to find the detailed information I'd like for this interesting figure.

I'm particularly interested by this quote from a work of Salmon's cited in Debus, 144: "I have been for some years last past in the American World, and am but lately returned home to perfect the whole System of Medical Learning."

Some searches on genealogical websites tells me that Salmons were present in the English Caribbean from the 1630s onwards, but I have yet to find anything on William Salmon's specific travels. Any archival or bibliographic leads for Salmon or similar empirics/quacks/mountebacks who voyaged to the New World would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben Breen
Graduate Student
Department of History, UT Austin