Begin forwarded message:

Journal of Health Economics

Volume 30, Issue 1,  Pages 1-220 (January 2011)

 1. Editorial Board

Page CO2

 2. From Angela's ashes to the Celtic tiger: Early life conditions and adult health in Ireland   Original Research Article

Pages 1-10
Liam Delaney, Mark McGovern, James P. Smith

 3. The evolution of health outcomes from childhood to adolescence   Original Research Article

Pages 11-32
Paul Contoyannis, Jinhu Li

Research highlights

▶ Using data from the Canadian National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth (NLSCY), we examine how and why health outcomes exhibit persistence during the period from childhood to adolescence. ▶ We examine the distribution of health transitions using descriptive analysis, and explore the determinants of these distributions by estimating the contributions of family SES, unobserved heterogeneity and state dependence and also allowing for heterogeneity of state dependence parameters across categories of neighborhood status. ▶ Positive state dependence of child health is observed from the results in all dynamic models. ▶ The positive effect of “permanent” household income on child health is stronger in richer neighborhoods and also more educated neighborhoods, while the positive effect of “permanent” household income on child health is weaker in neighborhoods with fewer lone-parent families and also in neighborhoods with fewer families living in rental accommodations. ▶ Children living in poorer neighborhoods, in neighborhoods with lower education levels and in neighborhoods with more families headed by lone-parents tend to experience poor health status for longer after a transition to it, while children tend to experience multiple health drops living in poorer neighborhoods, in neighborhoods with less educated people, in neighborhoods with more families headed by lone-parents and in neighborhoods with more families living in rental accommodation.

 4. Heterogeneity in the intergenerational transmission of alcohol consumption: A quantile regression approach   Original Research Article

Pages 33-42
Christoph M. Schmidt, Harald Tauchmann

 5. The role of education in complex health decisions: Evidence from cancer screening   Original Research Article

Pages 43-54
Fabian Lange

Research highlights

▶ More educated individuals respond more to objective risk in screening decisions. ▶ More educated individuals respond more to objective risk in subjective risk beliefs. ▶ More educated are less hostile to science based medicine. ▶ The findings support the allocative efficiency hypothesis.

 6. Health awareness campaigns and diagnosis rates: Evidence from National Breast Cancer Awareness Month   Original Research Article

Pages 55-61
Grant D. Jacobsen, Kathryn H. Jacobsen

 7. Longevity, genes and efforts: An optimal taxation approach to prevention   Original Research Article

Pages 62-76
M.-L. Leroux, P. Pestieau, G. Ponthiere

 8. Retirement effects on health in Europe   Original Research Article

Pages 77-86
Norma B. Coe, Gema Zamarro

 9. Five-a-day, a price to pay: An evaluation of the UK program impact accounting for market forces   Original Research Article

Pages 87-98
Sara Capacci, Mario Mazzocchi

Research highlights

▶ We estimate the impact of the UK 5-a-day campaign over the period 2002–2006. ▶ A counterfactual demand model allows to disentangle the effects of increased prices. ▶ On average, the program has increased fruit and vegetable intakes by 0.3 portions. ▶ Impacts across income groups vary because of differences in elasticities.

 10. Enhanced fee-for-service model and physician productivity: Evidence from Family Health Groups in Ontario   Original Research Article

Pages 99-111
Jasmin Kantarevic, Boris Kralj, Darrel Weinkauf

Research highlights

▶ We study Family Health Groups, an enhanced FFS model for primary care physicians in Ontario. ▶ Our sample includes a 17-year panel of claims data before and after FHG model was introduced in 2003. ▶ We use matching and difference-in-differences with fixed effects and linear trends. ▶ We find that FHG doctors provide more services and visits and see more patients than FFS doctors. ▶ FHG doctors also have fewer referrals and treat more complex patients that FFS doctors.

 11. Price adjustment in the hospital sector   Original Research Article

Pages 112-125
Marisa Miraldo, Luigi Siciliani, Andrew Street

 12. The effect of Paragraph IV decisions and generic entry before patent expiration on brand pharmaceutical firms   Original Research Article

Pages 126-145
Laura E. Panattoni

 13. Is employer-based health insurance a barrier to entrepreneurship?   Original Research Article

Pages 146-162
Robert W. Fairlie, Kanika Kapur, Susan Gates

Research highlights

► Employer-provided health insurance limits the creation of small businesses. ► Business ownership increases in the months after turning age 65. ► Health insurance demand has a larger negative effect on business creation for those without alternatives to employer-based health insurance.

 14. Do expert patients get better treatment than others? Agency discrimination and statistical discrimination in obstetrics   Original Research Article

Pages 163-180
Jostein Grytten, Irene Skau, Rune Sørensen

Research highlights

▶ Expert patients have higher education, some of them in medicine. Controlling for a large set of diagnostic criteria, we show that expert mothers are more likely to give birth by means of Caesarean sections than non-experts. ▶ Data from the Medical Birth Registry of Norway show that the educational disparities were large in the late 1960, but that they have been almost eliminated during the subsequent decades. ▶ The gradual reductions in educational disparities appear to be the result of better diagnostic instruments, for example ultrasound and cardiotocography. The analysis shows that the difference between expert and non-expert mothers becomes smaller when maternity units introduce these technologies. ▶ Introduction of advanced diagnostic technology implies that doctors become less reliant on precise “signals” from the mothers, which lead to the reduction in educational disparities. We suggest that the empirical results lend support to the hypothesis of statistical discrimination, and not to agency theory.

 15. Designing the financial tools to promote universal access to AIDS care   Original Research Article

Pages 181-188
Patrick Leoni, Stéphane Luchini

 16. Public vs. private provision of charity care? Evidence from the expiration of Hill–Burton requirements in Florida   Original Research Article

Pages 189-199
Douglas Almond, Janet Currie, Emilia Simeonova

 17. Institutions, health shocks and labour market outcomes across Europe   Original Research Article

Pages 200-213
Pilar García-Gómez

 18. On the consistent measurement of attainment and shortfall inequality   Original Research Article

Pages 214-219
Peter Lambert, Buhong Zheng

Research highlights

▶ Health status inequality rankings in terms of attainments and shortfalls can differ. ▶ For relative and intermediate inequality concepts, the rankings do differ. ▶ Only for the absolute inequality concept are consistent rankings possible. ▶ We find two classes of absolute inequality indices which yield consistent rankings. ▶ The only consistent and subgroup decomposable inequality index is the variance.

Copyright © 2011 ScienceDirect. All rights reserved.