Ganesh,

Octave is a very good option, opensource and easy to understand. It is worthy to spend some time with it

You can also use Python, a very powerful programming environment (and you will learn to do many other things with it). I recommend you installing not the latest version, but 2.7 (it has more available resources).

Once you are familiar with Python (which can take you less than one week), you can start to use different libraries, like Matplotlib, that will let you know the same as Matlab, or even more.

Just Google for "Python vs Matlab" and terms like that. You will have many opensource and free options at your hand.

Best of luck,

Jorge

Jorge Ginés

Geologist, MSc

Fugro  NPA Limited

Telephone: +44 (0) 1732 865023 /    Fax: +44 (0) 1732 866521

E-mail: [log in to unmask] / Website: www.fugro-npa.com

Crockham Park, Edenbridge, Kent TN8 6SR, United Kingdom