From: "Rozz Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 4:06 PM
Subject: IOE Digital Education Research Archive is launched

**Apologies for cross posting**

For many years now, we have all been struggling with managing electronic
only publications within our traditional library collections. Publications
may be freely and easily accessible at the time of publishing, but
subsequently documents ‘disappear’ from the internet, official bodies are
closed, merged or reconstituted and their work, if published electronically,
is often impossible to track down.  Both the British Library’s Digital
Preservation project and the National Archives UK Government Web Archive are
doing important work in this area, but we decided we needed to develop an
inclusive fully searchable digital archive for such publications in the
subject area of education.

For the last year a team of colleagues from Collection Development Services,
Cataloguing and Technical Services at the Institute of Education library
have been working hard on this, and we are very excited to announce that the
IOE Digital Education Research Archive (DERA) is now available for use by
researchers and other interested parties worldwide.

DERA is a digital archive of documents published electronically by
government and related bodies in the area of education. We are committed to
making it permanently and freely accessible to all. Of course, it is still a
work in progress – but already there are already approximately 1000 full
text documents available. This includes BECTA‘s digital publication archive
which is now permanently preserved and available for all.

This is definitely a work in progress, but we would very much welcome
comments on any aspect of DERA. We have it listed on the library web page
alongside our other education databases , or you can access it direct at
http://dera.ioe.ac.uk.

Or feel free to email me direct [log in to unmask]

Rozz Evans
Collection Development Librarian
Library
Institute of Education, University of London
20 Bedford Way
London
WC1H 0AL
Tel: +44 (0) 207 612 6484