Dear GEM members

Last week the Department for Education announced an inquiry into the English Baccalaureate (E-Bac).  It would be useful for GEM to respond to this at the outset as there could be great opportunities for cross-curricular work with the 14-19 age group.  If you would like to have your say you can submit your own comments via http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-committee/news/new-inquiry-announced-e-bac/.  I will be sending a response on behalf of GEM and would welcome any comments which you feel we should include.  Send them to me off-list unless you think GEM members would value a more open discussion at this stage.  The DfE lists the following headings:
- the purpose and benefits of the E-Bac and its value as a measure of pupil and school performance;
- the choice of subjects included in the E-Bac;
- the implications of the E-Bac for pupils, schools and employers;
- international comparators for the E-Bac.

The deadline for submissions is 8th March so please send any comments by 1st March if you want me to incorporate them in the GEM response.

To emphasise the importance of this, it's worth looking at the Welsh Baccalaureate, which has been running since 2002.  It has a core section which includes a significant cultural element (within a theme called 'Wales, Europe and the World') which ensures that all students across the vocational and academic spectrum study their cultural heritage (see http://www.wbq.org.uk/about-us).  The Welsh Bacc is currently taken by about 50,000 students across Wales (70,000 from September 2011, in 240 schools and colleges) so the potential is huge.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Robin Clutterbuck
GEM Trustee

Reply to: [log in to unmask]