Would this be the very same Fionee Godlee who recently published an extended account by Brian Deer claiming that data on MMR and autism had been faked by persons wanting to sue the pharmaceutical industry with an editorial to accompany it? See Godlee, F., J. Smith, et al. (2011). "Wakefield's article linking MMR vaccine and autism was fraudulent." Bmj 342: c7452.

 Or how about the story of McBride and debendox? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debendox

There is no need to contact the pharma industry if you want to have the experience of having requests for access to original data turned down. Most independent researchers are happy to give you an 'over my dead body' reply.

Regards
Stephen

Stephen Senn

Professor of Statistics