From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Simon Hatcher
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Question about screening and denominators

I had this discussion with a friend over a beer last night and we couldn't agree on the answer. Here's the scenario:

The incidence of a disease in a population is 1:1000

There is a test which correctly detects the disease 95%of the time

If I test positive with the test what is my risk of having the disease?

Be interested in any thoughts on the "correct" answer.

Cheers

Simon