Understanding and accepting what EBM is all about i.e. the focus on patient's
role in clinical decision making.  also...the CEBM web site Oxford is a good
place for intro...

What is EBM?

Evidence-based medicine is the conscientious, explicit and judicious use of
current best evidence in making decisions about the care of individual patients.
Read the full article by clicking on the link below. Evidence based medicine:
what it is and what it isn't

Good doctors and health professionals use both individual clinical expertise and
the best available external evidence, and neither alone is enough. Without
clinical expertise, practice risks becoming tyrannised by evidence, for even
excellent external evidence may be inapplicable to or inappropriate for an
individual patient. Without current best evidence, practice risks becoming
rapidly out of date, to the detriment of patients. Evidence-based medicine is
not restricted to randomised trials and meta-analyses. It involves tracking down
the best external evidence with which to answer our clinical questions.
The Five Steps of EBP

1. Asking Focused Questions: translation of uncertainty to an answerable
question

2. Finding the Evidence: systematic retrieval of best evidence available

3. Critical Appraisal: testing evidence for validity, clinical relevance, and
applicability
Critical appraisal is the process of assessing and interpreting evidence by
systematically considering its validity, results and relevance to an
individual's work. Within the last decade critical appraisal has been added as a
topic to many medical school and UK Royal College curricula, and several
continuing professional development ventures have been funded to provide further
training. Teaching critical appraisal skills in health care settings.

4. Making a Decision: application of results in practice

5. Evaluating Performance: auditing evidence-based decisions

What evidence is there that teaching EBM achieves its aims?
A five year old Cochrane review found sparse evidence—one randomised controlled
trial showing that about six hours of journal club time devoted to critical
appraisal increased knowledge of this. Two subsequent randomised controlled
trials with broader teaching showed a sustained educational benefit across
several of  (Evidence based medicine has come a long way read more).

Incorporating EBM into practice
The likelihood that a clinician will incorporate EBM into their practice cannot
be predicted by any demographics or practice related factors. Even those
physicians who are enthusiastic about EBM rely more on traditional information
sources than EBM related sources. The most important barriers to increased use
of EBM by practicing physicians appears to be a lack of knowledge and
familiarity with the basic skills, rather than skepticism about the
concept. Read more

http://www.cebm.net/?o=1014

other intro sites...

http://www.hsl.unc.edu/services/tutorials/ebm/