Dear Ash,

Thanks for the kind comments regarding Dicing with Death. I am an admirer of Hume's but not a fellow countryman. The most famous philosopher from my country (Switzerland) is Rousseau - not a patch on Hume as a philosopher but certainly his master as regards writing. Anyway, thanks for reminding me about Kant. There is a Swiss connection (or should I say a bridge) in that it was the Swiss mathematician Euler who solved the Konigsberg problem, thus inaugurating the topic of Graph theory (not to be confused with Prussian political science or Graf theory).

Regards

Stephen

From: Ash Paul [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 February 2011 15:15
To: Stephen Senn; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Can RCT help establish causation? A philosopher's reply

Dear Stephen,

You yourself have written in your excellent book 'Dicing with Death: Chance, Risk and Health' that your fellow Scotsman David Hume managed the unhappy trick of seeing his masterpiece (1739-40) die as it was born. "Never literary attempt was more unfortunate than my Treatise of Human Nature. It fell dead-born from the press ......."
Hume himself confessed that love of literary fame was his main motivation in writing. He also abandoned writing for a while after he failed in his application for the Chair of Ethics and Pneumatical Philosophy at Edinburgh University.
Immanuel Kant ultimately read the slimmed-down reworked version of his magnum opus ' An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding' (1748), to which he replied in his 'Prolegomena' in 1783.

Regards,

Ash

Dr Ash Paul
Medical Director