-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michelle Peel
Sent: 21 February 2011 14:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] "Legitimate Interests" condition

Hi everyone,

My brain is fried and it's only Monday! Hope someone can help me...

I need some clarification of the "legitimate interests" condition. I've
read the guidance from the ICO on their website
(http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/condi
tions_for_processing.aspx) but it doesn't help as I'm not sure it
explains what is legitimate and what isn't.

The situation is this: our Children's Centres require the contact
details of all women who become pregnant. We are in the process of
facilitating data sharing agreements with the two NHS Trusts who provide
us with maternity services to do this, but only with consent.

The Children's Centres argue that this still means they are missing
their target audience, as the people who refuse to give their consent
are most likely to be those who may benefit from the services the
Children's Centres provide.

Children's Centres are required by Ofsted to target all parents of
children aged 0-4 (under 5s) to provide services which benefit their
health and wellbeing. Ultimately Children's Centres are part of wider
preventative services in the hope that children will avoid entering the
social care system.

Could we argue the "legitimate interests" condition to get contact
details for ALL families once they contact maternity services?

I've never had to apply this since learning the theory as consent or
vital interests has always been more than satisfactory, but I can see
where the Children's Centres are coming from. Your views would be
greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Michelle Peel
CYPS Information Governance Manager
Trafford Children and Young People's Service

       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user
commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm
 Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner
  Full help Desk - please email [log in to unmask] describing your
needs

Securing the future... - Improving services - Enhancing quality of
life - Making best use of public resources.

The information in this email is solely for the intended recipients.

If you are not an intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy,
or distribute its contents or use them in any way: please advise
the sender immediately and delete this email.

Perth & Kinross Council, Live Active Leisure Limited and
TACTRAN do not warrant that this email or any attachments are
virus-free and does not accept any liability for any loss or damage
resulting from any virus infection. Perth & Kinross Council may
monitor or examine any emails received by its email system.

The information contained in this email may not be the views of
Perth & Kinross Council, Live Active Leisure Limited or TACTRAN.
It is possible for email to be falsified and the sender cannot be
held responsible for the integrity of the information contained in it.

Requests to Perth & Kinross Council under the Freedom of
Information (Scotland) Act should be directed to the Freedom of
Information Team - email: [log in to unmask]

General enquiries to Perth & Kinross Council should be made to
[log in to unmask] or 01738 475000.

General enquiries to Live Active Leisure Limited should be made
[log in to unmask] or 01738 492440.

General enquiries to TACTRAN should be made to
[log in to unmask] or 01738 475775.