What if this request is part of a genuine attempt by the government concerned to deal with corruption by their own officials, eg people who may be falsely claiming that a particular student has attended an overseas university and then pocketing the grant intended for them?

At the very least, you might see if you can contact the student (assuming the personal actually is or was a student with you) to see whether they have any objection to you answering.

Is it self evident that Condition 6 could not be the basis for disclosure, particularly if this is a genuine attempt to deal with corruption by lawful means, where the student's identity has been misappropriated by fraudsters? I realise it may be difficult to know whether this is the case. But if the former, would confirming the truth involve unwarranted prejudice to the interests of the student?

Maurice Frankel
Campaign for Freedom of Information
Suite 102, 16 Baldwins Gardens
London EC1N 7RJ, UK