Well I have ended up in hospitals occasionally, and they remark on my low
resting pulse, and blood pressure.  But I have had a heart flutter  too

It bears telling the tale.  I was riding one day and realised thet it  took
some effort to keep up with another cyclist who was not riding particularly
 fast, and on arrival at my destination I was a gasping wreck.  The
condition persisted for that day, and into the next.  Any exertion left me
feeling totally whacked.

I called my GP and from the symptoms described he suggested going directly
to A&E.  They took some measurements and I asked if I would  get something
to take when I went home (expecting to walk out).   Instead I was told
bluntly that my pulse was blundering about at a ridiculous  rate, and my BP had
plummeted to below 100.  I suspect that had I not been  a regular cyclist I
would have been on the deck at least 24 hours  earlier. A quick restart with
the jump leads sorted things out and the  cause - suspected to be a viral
infection that kicked the heart into an unstable  rythym.

A similar report comes from a CTC veteran who believes he is oldest person
to survive treatment for septecemia, which can involve forcing up a body's
metabolic rate to fight the infection.  Most older patients die because
their cardiovascular systems cannot withstand the hammering this treatment
brings on.

Maybe it is an effect of a fitter person fending off minor ailments  and
then only a massive event stops them in their tracks usually so massive  that
a recovery is unlikely and hence the Mail's unfortunate misreading of the
information presented.

Dave H