Dear all,

I'm pleased to announce that registration is now open for the Historical Geography Research Group (RGS-IBG) / GEES sponsored workshop titled 'Teaching Historical Geographies', 19th and 20th May, 2011. The workshop will be held at the RGS-IBG, Kensington, London

This workshop will provide a long overdue opportunity for historical geographers to critically engage with the historical geography curricula. The purpose of the workshop is to review the teaching of historical geography in the curriculum and initiate a network to support and mentor colleagues’ teaching practice. In planning this workshop the HGRG committee felt there were examples of excellent active learning approaches and innovative teaching methods in our work, however there are not currently the opportunities to showcase and exchange ideas. This workshop will provide a mechanism for colleagues to collaborate, share and transfer practice.

Themes the workshop will be led will address will include:

  • Reflecting on  the position of Historical Geography in our institutions
  • Active/problem based learning
  • Using archival sources in the classroom
  • Designing a 21st Century Historical Geography curriculum
  • Developing assessments and skills in the context of Historical Geography teaching and learning
  • Embedding Historical Geography in the curriculum
  • Supporting Historical Geography dissertations
  • Using the RGS archives

Themes of the workshop will reflect the needs and interests of participants and the programme will be designed to be interactive.

The workshop is funded by a grant from the Geography Earth and Environmental Sciences (GEES) Subject Centre, enabling a workshop for 40 participants with a contribution towards delegate travel and expenses. Places are strictly limited.

Delegates who are selected to attend will also be asked to contribute to some of the workshops outputs, which will include an edition of the HGRG research series on ‘Teaching Historical Geographies’. This will be compiled of short commentaries and inspiration pieces exploring the diverse ways in which we engage with historical geographies within the classroom. We are keen to ensure we have a range of experience in the room, to allow people a chance to discuss their own teaching, share stories of success and failure, and use this opportunity to shore up the teaching and learning of historical geography.

To register please go to the website above and download a form and send back to Stephanie Wyse at the RGS-IBG using contact details attached.

Registration closes on April 1st.

If you have any questions about the workshop please contact Nicola Thomas ([log in to unmask])

Kind regards,

Nicola

Dr Nicola Thomas
HGRG Chair
Senior Lecturer in Human Geography
School of Geography, University of Exeter
Amory Building, Rennes Drive, Exeter, EX4 4RJ

T: 01392 724449 E: [log in to unmask]