Hi George,

This pattern is indeed disturbing.  Climate science predicts increasing
_frequency_ of extreme events - but on this basis no single event can be
attributed to global warming.  However one can show that global warming
contributes addition _severity_ to some events, at the time they
occur.    This includes cases where the severity is related to ocean
surface temperature, which has typically increased 0.5 degrees C due to
global warming.  Examples are Katrina and the recent Australian floods.

Note that the damage tends to be exponential with severity, so reducing
the severity by cooling the relevant part of the ocean surface (e.g. by
marine cloud brightening) could save a lot of damage in the future.

Note also that this same cooling technology (a form of SRM
geoengineering) could be applied to critical parts of the Earth's
climate control system, e.g. to save the Arctic sea ice and to save the
Amazon rainforest.  The higher surface temperature of the Gulf Stream
contributes to the speed of retreat of the sea ice.  The higher surface
temperature of the tropical Atlantic may contribute to the droughts and
die-off in the Amazon.

Cheers,

John

---