But it’s much worse that a problem of science communication (read from the bottom those to whom this is bcc’d). It’s about the whole psychology that has driven the rise of science – the notion that, with the exception of the aberration of science’s use in warfare, science will make our lives better (and even with war, it will make it better for the winners). The implications of environmental impact being the product of population and consumption in simple terms are that science is now saying we must radically curtail our perceived freedoms. This pricks the bubble of what has sustained support for science within popular belief. It reveals the idolatry of that belief in contrast with the true faith of the real scientists, who were always motivated by ideals (“pure knowledge”) rather than, or as well as, prosaic utilitarianism.

Sometimes I imagine a scenario called Asteroid. The asteroid is heading straight for us. There’s nothing, realistically, that our technology can do to stop it, and we’ve got just a few years left. What do we do in that time? It’s the same question faced by the terminally ill patient but on a societal scale. It exaggerates the actual situation, but it also presses the question, “What if climate change mitigation is nowhere like politically possible “in time”?”

Tom Crompton has often raised the question of framing of the debate. To me, what this way of looking at it does is to force a radical re-framing. It suggests we’re looking at much more than just a scientific issue, but one that is also ontological (to do with the nature of being; of life itself). I’ve argued in Hell & High Water that we’re faced with the problem we’ve got because being has become framed as a question of having, and thus, of consumerism (i.e. consumption in excess of what is needed for dignified sufficiency). I’ve tried to show how that process was driven by the motivational manipulation of people like Bernays and Dichter who used depth psychological methods intended for healing to drive psychic destabilisation and create consumerist vulnerability (none of this is original work; rather, it is a synthesis of existing thinking focussed on climate change). The question now is whether climate change kicks in bigtime or not, what kind of human beings can we become? How can we reverse the addictions we have become habituated to, and also, can we start to see current levels of population decline in some countries as a blessing and not as a threat to national cohesion? (Consider these fertility rates per woman, that I pulled off a UN site – a Catholic emphasis for one of their conferences I was speaking at - deeply patriarchal war-riven Afghanistan, 7.07; Muslim Turkey, 2.14; Catholic Ireland, 1.96; UK, 1.82; China, 1.73; Cuba, 1.49; Italy, 1.38 (hard to blame Catholicism, though the Pope’s not helped), Poland, 1.23; Hong Kong and Macau 0.97.)

I am struck that some of us at least on this list have at times lived very simply, and maybe still do. Radical cuts in consumption do not hold fear for us – especially if shared across society so we’re not just lone hippies out in the woods doing something that’s so worthy that it knocks us off the Richter scale of mainstream credibility. If as a society we’re not going to choose to live more simply in order to mitigate global warming, we may yet be forced to do so in response – as the victims of floods and fires are already learning. Either way, therefore, deepening the human condition is a pressing imperative. The skills of living from simplicity as distinct from those of living from “making” a lot of money may become important. In parallel respect George, I was impressed by the psychological approaches that you and Tom C took on that recent Radio 4 programme about warming. We must be careful not to psychologies or spiritualise the whole problem into an ethereal compartment. We need one foot in that world, and the other in the tangible worlds of science and politics. But we do need to be walkers between the worlds. Vérène (my wife) and I have been reflecting recently on something Richard Rohr (a very right on Franciscan priest) said about “chronic liminality.” Liminality pertains to the threshold – to moving between worlds. To walk the thresholds is never comfortable. But Rohr is saying that the only real place of transformation in this world is in the liminal places, and that is why the great teachers of life of the past are people who have come to terms with living in states of liminality that have become, for them, chronic (i.e. perpetual).

I’ve loved some of the things said on this forum these past few days about sharing truthfully with children. We need to prepare them for a world of chronic liminality too. It means cultivating their capacity to engage with science, politics, economics etc., but equally, engaging the other foot that opens to inner depth including the inter-personal depths of empathy, of love made manifest. I often find this difficult territory because it riddles you with contradiction, but the words of the black American writer Alice Walker can be helpful:

"Be nobody's darling;
Be an outcast.
Take the contradictions
Of your life