It is already pretty late to be doing this as budgets are being set now.  The 'technical' work, to the extent it is being done, has already been largely finished (e.g. modelling the impact of reducing the eligibility threshold - which is generally regarded as a false economy) and budget proposals in most councils will be with members.
There is scope for lobbying/campaigning but I can't see the model of professional expertise informs professional organisation, informs councils, having much effect in the timescale now left.  There is still plenty of scope for campaigning and here it would be worth using evidence/expertise to argue against silly decisions - for example those that impact on preventative services and resources.
But the govt. strategy is very clever - make the councils have to implement the cuts so campaigning and discontent is focussed on them.  Hence the cries of pain this week from liberal-demagogue councillors.  It is very difficult for councils since by protecting statutory services and those they have a legal duty to provide for will inevitably mean sacrificing other expenditure.  So any campaigning has to make very clear where the blame really lies and have effective strategies for national level as well as local campaigning - a tall order!