That's approximately the bandwidth of a Si (111) monochromator.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Andre Luis Berteli Ambrosio wrote:

> Dear ccp4bb,
>

> I sometimes find the flux of x-ray sources reported in units of “photons/s/0.1% bandwidth”
> instead of simply “photons/s”.
>
> Where does the “1/0.1% bandwidth” unit come from? I have also seen other percentages like 0.01%
> bw  or 0.02% bw…
>
> Is it simply defining some degree of acceptance in energy (for example, the flux between 8 KeV
> +/- 8 eV for a given stored current)? Does it somehow have to do with energy resolution?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answers,
>

> -Andre Ambrosio

         Robert M. Sweet                 E-Dress: [log in to unmask]
         Group Leader, PXRR: Macromolecular               ^ (that's L
           Crystallography Research Resource at NSLS            not 1)
           http://px.nsls.bnl.gov/
         Biology Dept
         Brookhaven Nat'l Lab.           Phones:
         Upton, NY  11973                631 344 3401  (Office)
         U.S.A.                          631 344 2741  (Facsimile)