Thanks for the tip. Actually, we are interested in studying the diffusion of exposed liquid in SAXS microfluidic experiments.

I wonder what the mechanism for the brown color could be. I would expect dithionite to oxidize to colorless sulfates and sulfites rather than produce elemental sulfur or sulfides, but then radiation damage is a messy process.

Soluble silver compounds might do something, but I'd like to avoid high Z compounds if possible.

Anyone know what they put in burn paper to make it change color?

Richard