As one of the people involved (I'm author #74 out of 88 on PMID
21293373), I can tell you that about half of the three million snapshots
were blank, but we wanted to be honest about the number that were
collected, as well as the "minimum" number that were needed to get a
useful data set.  The blank images were on purpose, since the
nanocrystals were diluted so that there would be relatively few
double-hits.  As many of you know, multiple lattices crash autoindexing
algorithms!

Whether or not a blank image or a failed autoindexing run qualifies as
"conforming to our existing model" or not I suppose is a matter of
semantics.  But yes, I suppose some details do get lost between the
actual work and the press release!

In case anyone wants to look at the data, it has been deposited in the
PDB under 3PCQ, and the detailed processing methods published under
PMID: 20389587.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist