Hi all,

Thank you all very much for your insightful help on this matter.  Just a
quick summary of what I have learned about this:

1.  For my stereo preferences, i used to be an active stereo nut - but I
have switched over to passive - and will never go back.  It's cheaper to
maintain (even with expensive monitors), easier to load operating
systems (you don't need nvidia drivers - you don't even need a video
card - on board video is good enough), and best of all, easier on the
eyes.  you can stare at passive stereo all day without eye fatigue

2.  for operating systems - I tried ubuntu and wasn't real fond of it -
it wouldn't load with my hardware.  I should have mentioned that I have
old quadro cards (FX1400).  They still work well with fc7, but alas I
think it's time they go away.  But, as i mentioned, with Zalman monitors
I don't need nvidia - and so I can live with nouveau drivers - the video
is crisp and nice and works just fine.   Good enough - fC13 it is for
now (maybe I'll change later)

3.  crystal software is easy to install on most.  CCP4 is the most
difficult for me - mainly because it's not something I'm familiar with -
but the newer packages that come bundled take care of everything.  i
still do coot the old fashioned way (separate from ccp4 - maybe I should
link them, probably more power that way), but for me it works.  CNS is
good, pymol easy, and anything else is just not too bad

I didn't try scientific linux - but that did seem to get the most votes
(for something beyond fedora/red hat).  Many do like fedora - and with
newer hardware it works great - just fc13 and old hardware poses
issues.  i don't know fc14 - I didn't try it (but it was preferred).
Ubuntu was also up there - and i will give it a try later - but not
now.  most say it's a good one system thing - and while some used it in
a network - some said that others may be better in my situation.

Thanks again.  You all are very generous with your time and your
comments are always wonderful and appreciated

Dave