On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Paul McLaughlin wrote:

> In doing some model building I want to move a domain of a protein
> manually, as a rigid body, and see in real time continuous updates of
> some distances from points on the domain to the rest of the protein
> (we
> have cross linking data).
> I dimly remember being able to do with this O,at least a decade ago
> (probably more),  but it doesn't seem to work in current versions (I
> have even dimmer recollections that this might have been a special
> feature of a particular graphics card in an SGI)
> In any event, does anyone know of anything that might allow us to do
> this? { I am not asking about computational ways of exploring
> alternate
> packing of the domain to satisfy distances ( I know about these) -
> rather we want to get a feel for what is possible by "seeing" it for
> ourselves).

DIstance monitors in Chimera (www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera) automatically
update as structures are moved.  Possibly also of interest, Chimera
can monitor steric clashes/contacts as structures are moved:

http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera/docs/ContributedSoftware/findclash/findclash.html

--Eric

                         Eric Pettersen
                         UCSF Computer Graphics Lab