A lot depends on the structure of the interview, which depends on the
implicit epistemology (even ontology) of the research project and you as the
the interviewer.

In a normal semi-structured interview, the normal practice is to have in the
mind's repertoire a whole range of questioning modes so that, while your
interviewee is answering your last question, you are constantly interpreting
the answer and processing possibilities in your mind ready to choose one of
the many instruments from your repertoire in order to interrogate further.

The implicit model can be that of a contest in which your task is to dance
around the interviewee and 'sting' them in the right way so that they give
up their secrets, show themselves to have contradictory attitudes, admit
they don't know what they're talking about, etc. It is fitted for the
'argument culture' (Deborah Tannen) and for the late medieval/early
Renaissance model of science that "nature has to be tortured to give up her
secrets".

In biographic-narrative interpretive interviews (BNIM interviews, see below
for details), there are three sessions in which quite different things
happen.

In BNIM interviews, in subsession 1, the interviewer asks one open-narrative
question (roughly equivalent to "tell me your story of X") and then is not
allowed to ask any further questions until the interviewer has finished
their story 10 minutes or 90 minutes or whatever later. They are only
allowed to facilitate the telling but never by giving any direction (never
"can you tell me more about this, less about that") even if requested to do
so. It is the interviewee who decides when this "initial narration" is
complete, never the interviewer.

All the interviewer does in BNIM sub-session 1 is to listen, to make
supportive noises, and to make notes of key words and phrases. Since there
are no "further questions" or "interpretive comments" to be made, the
"coming action" side of the interviewer's mind is de-activated.

In BNIM sub-session 2, the interviewer picks up on some or all of the
key-phrases of the interviewee and asks further questions. You would expect
the "active interpretive side" of the interviewer's brain to start working
in the way that Leasa describes so well. In fact, certain restrictions
operate here to keep this level of 'activation' to quite a minimum. What are
the restrictions:

1. In BNIM subsession 2, the interviewer only asks narrative questions, only
asks for "more story", more "details of story about how it all happened". In
terms of the choice of type of question they xcan ask, they have no choice.
This cuts out a lot of mentation.

2. They can only ask about for more story (detail) about items (phrases)
that the interviewee has themselves raised. They cannot ask about items that
the interviewer has not themselves mentioned, and they can refer to the
items raised only in respect of phrases the interviewee has used and theat
the interviewer has noted down.

3. Therefore, the form of questioning used by the interviewer in BNIM
sub-session 2 is pretty invariant. With minor exceptions, the further
questioning in sub-session 2  runs "You said XXX [written down cue-phrase];
do you remember /anything/anything more/any more details/ about that
particular [incident/time/period/...etc.]". --  For a more expanded version
of the working of sub-session 2, please write to me OFF-LIST (new email) for
a copy of the free BNIM SHORT GUIDE AND DETAILED MANUAL.

This restriction to asking only narrative-form questions, indeed only one
narrative-form question, in sub-session 2; to being able to only ask using
phrases that you don't invent but that the interviewee themselves has used;
to being obliged (a point I didn't mention before) to stick rigidly to the
order of phrases as they were spoken in the interview (you can't dart around
and go backwards: you can miss phrases out -- and always do -- but you can't
go back)...... all these reduce the requirement and the incentive to
multi-task your mind and anxiously quicken its wit.

Like slow meditative eating, slow food, this form of 'slow interviewing'
gives freedom and time and space to both the interviewer and the interviewee
to think and remember. It takes a while for the inter viewer to adjust to
BNIM 3 sub-session rules, but after the practice-rules are followed for a
bit, the corresponding 'BNIM-listening' mind-set is brought into existence
as a further resource for your mind.

There is also a BNIM sub-session 3. This happens after you have left the
first interview (where sub-sessions 1 and 2 happen as described above, after
you have listened to the recording (or read the transcript) and decided what
further questions you still have or have arisen because of thinking (active
interpretation) about their previous answers. All the 'activation' that
Leasa describes as happening within ordinary interviews is postponed to this
period (might be a week or a month) in which you plan a further interview
and a post-BNIM strategy for mostly non-narrative questions in sub-session
3.

Many thanks, Leasa, for raising this very crucial question of how, as
researchers,  you can enable yourself to listen without falling down on the
job by anxious self-interrogation and mentation. BNIM is one set of
practice-rules that enable this to happen.

Best wishes

Tom

P.S. Social science researchers. For a free electronic copy of the current
version of the BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual , just open a new email
and write OFF-LIST to me at <[log in to unmask]> . Please indicate your
institutional affiliation and the purpose for which you might envisage using
BNIM's open-narrative interviews, and  I'll send it straight away.

It builds on and develops ch. 6 and 12  of  my earlier textbook,
'Qualitative Research Interviewing: biographic narrative and semi-structured
method' (2001 Sage Publications) which has a more general approach to
semi-structured depth interviewing, interpretation,  and writing-up.