Dear all

A big thank you to all those who responded to my enquiry regarding converting audio recordings to modern medium, your advice and support is greatly appreciated, please accept my apologies for not responding individually to everyone who contributed. There were a few requests for me to summarise my findings.

The ARA Section for Film and Sound Photography has a list of audio digitisation contractors, the list was available on the former SOA website, but is not yet available on the ARA website, the section's e-mail address is  [log in to unmask]

The British Library also has a list of freelance audio engineers [log in to unmask]

Other organisations mentioned included Max Communications http://www.maxcommunications.co.uk/ , Stanley’s Production http://www.stanleysonline.co.uk/ and UIST Digitisation Centre http://www.digitisationcentre.co.uk/

Some archives are converting audio cassette to MP3 in house. Apparently there are various USB cassette to MP3/CD converters on the market for as little as £30-£40. One archive has purchased Makcro, which is less than £40, and according to the archivist is "very easy to use and excellent quality". Apparently you do not have to be physically on the PC and you can get on with other work while it plays the tape and converts it to MP3.

I hope that this information proves useful to others.

Regards

Zoe Darani
Archivist, Little Company of Mary Generalate