Six courses you won't want to miss this February

We still have a few places left on 10 February for Advanced Advocacy:
Strategic steps for profile raising

This is a perfect, and timely, course for all of us who are speaking out
about the value of museums, libraries and archives in this age of cuts and
budget freezes.  You'll work through some strategic but practical steps for
ensuring your organisation's excellence is recognised for now and the
long-term.

On 15 February Creating Capacity is running:

Family Learning: Guidance on engaging families with our work

Want to gain new audiences and greater take-up of services and activities?
Having an effective family learning programme is an excellent way to ensure
this and this course will give you new ideas for planning monitoring and
evaluating family learning projects.

Many people that attended our last volunteer course commented that they
would like a course on the legal aspect of volunteering. Therefore, on 17
February we bring you:

Volunteer management: The nuts and bolts of good working practice

This course will cover legal essentials including:

o          volunteering contracts and agreements

o          expenses and payment

o          risk assessment and insurance matters

o          screening and selection processes;

o          health and safety regulations and disputes.

On 18 February we have:

Stop the rot: A guide to preventing decay in collections

How and why do objects in your collections decay? What can be done to
prevent it? This course is designed to answer these questions and give you:

o          An understanding of the basics of collections care

o          The ability to identify materials and the elements of decay

o          An understanding of the damage caused by pest, light, humidity
and contaminants in collections

o          An understanding of preventative measures

o          An awareness of best practice regarding storage and handling of
objects

On 23 February there is:

The value of intellectual property: Protecting and making money from digital
assets

This practical course provides an overview of the specific types of
Intellectual Property Rights, as well as other cultural assets which might
be monetised. You will be introduced to the issues you will need to embrace
when considering the monetisation of your assets, such as business planning,
cost/benefit considerations and market-take up. We will also examine the
role of licences, how the internet and other digital technology can support
various business models and how to protect assets from unauthorised uses.

And last up for this month on 25 February we are running:

Focus groups: Planning and running an effective discussion with users

This course outlines how focus groups work and the issues to consider when
planning, recruiting for and running focus groups. You will assess the
skills needed to successfully facilitate a focus group and you will consider
ethical issues and have a go at some analysis of qualitative data. You will
also find out how to incorporate other evaluation tools into a focus group.

Interested? Then book online (www.creatingcapacity.org) or call me on 07985
659425 for more information.

Interested but can't spare the time from my museum, library or archive for
training?  Then consider our tailored in-house packages as a low-cost
alternative.

Kind regards,

Lucy

Creating Capacity for Museums, Libraries and Archives
Tel:  079 8565 9425
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
Follow us on Twitter:  <http://www.twitter.com/LearningCC> @LearningCC

Web:  <http://www.creatingcapacity.org/> www.creatingcapacity.org

Learning programmes to develop confidence

and inspire the profession now and for the future