Chris picks out  a fact of life - the misrepresentation in the Archers - with which we seem to be struggling more and more these days, despite the amount of community engagement this particular office carries out.  I was talking to my new neighbours about my job recently, and was asked about the oldest record we hold here.  It happens to be a Saxon charter of 780.  He said why were we holding something like that - shouldn't it be somewhere more secure?  And, as he could see my hackles were rising, he corrected himself and said he thought stuff that old would be in a proper record office.  When I asked him what he thought a local record office did, he didn't know.

We find this time and time again, despite giving endless talks tours and other forms of outreach.  Somehow the culture of out time fails to get to grips with what we actually do.

Caroline Adams (another former Archers listener - but I fell off when Mark was killed)
Caroline Adams | Senior Archivist, West Sussex Record Office, West Sussex County Council | Location: West Sussex Record Office, County Hall, Chichester PO19 1RN
Internal: 53617
| External: +44 (0) 1243-753617 | E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Think sustainably. Do you have to print? Can you double side? Do you need colour?

Chris Pickford <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

09/02/2011 09:28
Please respond to
Chris Pickford <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Fw: Fall of the house of Pargetter

As a former listener - I, too, turn it off when the theme tune comes on
nowadays! - I think that Anne is right in saying Jennifer went to the record
office when researching for her book, but didn't she also go to the British
Library (rather than the mere local archives) to do some proper research?
The implications - and the complete misrepresentation - being clear!

Chris Pickford

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the persons addressed. If it has come to you in error please reply to advise us but you should not read it, copy it, show it to anyone else nor make any other use of its content.   West Sussex County Council takes steps to ensure e-mails and attachments are virus-free but you should carry out your own checks before opening any attachment.