I find Geoff's response to this discussion highly disconcerting, if not alarming.

If as an archaeologist I can only 'stick my nose in' where it belongs, there wouldn't be much nose-sticking happening. The matter of fact is, however, that archaeologists have their noses in almost all places, sometimes so deep that they cannot even smell their own complicity anymore. Such is the case with calling on imperial powers to protect heritage over people, but the same is true for cases where archaeologists have gotten hold of wampum belts and never given them back to their owners despite their requests for return; have transported whole temples from the Middle East to European Museums; have unearthed (if not to say robbed) graves (never their own, of course); and they continue to do all these things today. Much more nicely packaged, I admit, with state funding and conference presentations that provide the necessary legitimization for such 'truly scientific' work.

Maybe the issue described by Geoff is not so much that of 'I am an archaeologist' and for that reason I cannot invest myself politically; but it sounds to me more like, I am an individual who will not invest myself politically. When I sent my first email to this listserv, I did so as ... I think the preferred term is: a concerned citizen, and then I happen to be an archaeologist as well. This listserv is for Archaeologists for Global Justice and to me that implies engaging current political issues and getting involved with, or at least supporting from a distance, the work of organizations like the ones mentioned by Geoff (or similar ones that have less of a 'humanitarian' ring to them).

But since Geoff has already pointed out that there are other organizations who can be concerned instead of us ('the archaeologists'), I would like to point out that most of these organizations do call on individuals (archaeologists or not) to support their causes and activism: for example, go out tomorrow for a global day of action in solidarity with the people in Egypt: http://www.amnesty.org/en/mena-action While it is likely that someone will reply to this and say that a protest in London doesn't prevent people in Egypt from getting killed, I can somewhere in my political mind imagine what a gesture of solidarity (which is never only a gesture but also a real political tool that can exert pressure on governments) may mean to a person who is now fighting in the streets of Egypt.

Maresi