I think this is an interesting debate, and it will last for long.

On the one hand I agree with Geoff in establishing the framework of our reaction
as archaeologists and I do appreciate Sarah's effort in trying to find some
stable supports to prevent the looting.

On the other, however, I cannot avoid thinking that Maresi and Umberto are right
in pointing out that our reaction would be short-sighted if we limit ourselves
to that. Archeologists don't "emerge", they are the product of a society, and I
would say that archaeology in the Western societies has developed along two
important "moral" ideas (or sets of them): one (positive) is individual rights
(amongst which free speech is paramount) and the other (negative) is
Eurocentrism. These two basis inform all what we debate in terms of our
contribution to society. It is clear that Egypt and many other countries have
not had the same chances  (with the acknowledgement of our democratically
chosen governments) and I think that it is part of our duty as archaeologists
to help them to enter discussion on these basis or others that they could
offer. Of course I don't think that anyone here will oppose the suppoting of a
truly democratic regime in Egypt (as far as democracy can be truth in these
days), but I am just saying that it is part of our commitment as archaeologists
and citizens and we should state that very clearly (besides helping against the
looting). After all, if heritage is our area of expertise, our subjetc of study
(and of improvement, I would say) is human society.

However I have to confess that I don't really know how to implement that in
practical terms. A manifesto, maybe? Any ideas?

Hope I was not too boring.

Best wishes

Jose

José C. Carvajal