Dear Allstat members,
I have a problem which looks a bit like the "Assignment Problem", but I can't find an algorithm that will do what I need. Specifically:-
I am trying to pair up two groups (optimising on a vector of variables for each item for which the 'distance' can be computed by least-squares, for instance). Group 1 is already allocated and the number of items, N=100. For Group 2 I must include X=50 of the items (although I have not yet paired them up). The remaining 50 items in Group 2 can be selected from a pool of 100 potenital group 2 items. The problem is to optimise the final pair of 100 items such that the total difference between the pairs is minimised.

Can anyone help me find an algorithm for this?
Many Thanks
Nick Bardsley

SIGNOFF allstat