Hi Flick, Wendy

There is a history of Dentist's, as you may be aware, that have in the past always been mostly located above shops and here is where the trouble lies.

Over the last few years I have audited several Dentist's in the UK, all of which a disabled person with walking difficulties, would have problems in gaining access to, as they have been accommodated on the upper floors of buildings, that have no lift available.

Most of the audits have been requested by the Dental Surgeries Management after they have been threatened by action from a disabled patient, who has found it difficult to get into and out of the actual Surgery premises. In all cases I attended a Mediation Tribunal as an expert witness and a reasonable conclusion was arrived at in each of the proceedings.

Two years ago I gave two keynote speeches, one to the DPCS (Dental Practise Consultancy Service) the seminar was held in Birmingham and was mostly attended by lawyers who represent Dental Practices from all over the UK.  The other seminar was to the PCT in Cornwall, which was attended by their CEO and over 30 Dentists from that area.

At both lectures I informed them of their own and their clients responsibilities towards disabled people, the new laws, legislation and reasonable adjustments with regards to access into and egress from buildings, which are covered in (BS8300 & BS9999) that are required.........and it seems by what you have said that little or no action  has been taken, in this case - relating to the North West area.

During conversation I have been reliably informed that several Dentists from the Cornwall area have been proactive during the last year, with regards to making reasonable adjustments to their Dental Practices.

Another issue I have found occurring recently is the question of whether an Access Audit is available when Dental Practices are being sold on, this question is now also been raised by insurance companies and lenders in this regard as a condition of their services.

Maybe it is time for me to contact DPCS to see what has actually been done by their clients?

Regards

Mike

Mike Elkerton NRAC (Auditor)
Member of the National Register of Access Consultants
Regional Deputy Chairman of the Access Association
Regional CPD Officer of the Access Association.