From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of COLLINS MICHAEL (RM1) Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bicarbonate assay

I disagree that the problem is due to diffusion from open samples. Calibration with a primary standard (in our case sodium bicarbonate eliminates the difference between Abbott Architect and other analysers. When we first introduced the Architect results on patient samples were 3mmol/L lower than the Vitros analysers they replaced (samples analysed on Architect first).
Our samples are capped until they go on the track and are only decapped a few minutes before they reach the analyser spurs. Equilibrium with the air in the tube presumably occurs before the sample has been centrifuged. Old analysers typically sampled from the bottom of the sample cup but the sample cups tended to be uncapped in carousels or racks for some time before analysis. The Abbott low results are due only to standardisation.

Mike Collins
BMS3
Biochemistry Automation
Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital