From: Woodrow Iain <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 18 February, 2011 10:36:58
Subject: Odd request for a Friday: ?gallstone

Hi all,

We have received a specimen from a GP patient of a "stone" passed rectally and
the GP wants to know if it's a gallstone. Does anyone know where this sort of
analysis might be done, and if there is any benefit in doing the analysis? My
('scuse the pun) gut feeling is that it would have take a long time to get a
result and for little benefit, and that the patient should be referred for
urgent USS to see if he is has any evidence of stones.

For what it's worth, the object is more an irregular discoid shape than a
spheroid as you might expect a "stone" to be, it's black (which isn't the way
gallstones look in pictures from Goggle), and very hard. It's about the size of
a £2 coin (for anyone outside the UK that's about $3.20...), and the depth of
maybe three or four of them.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Regards,

Iain

Dr Iain Woodrow,
Clinical Scientist,
Department of Clinical Biochemistry,
Pinderfields General Hospital,
Wakefield
WF1  4EE

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working
in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet.
Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all
message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk