I've kept a Witches bottle buried myself for years. Andrew Chumbley spotted a pair of scissors by my front gate, and we decided the God Squad were out to get us!. Neither of us suffered any ill effects at the time. I have a week's holiday coming up so will have time read a bit. If I come up with anymore I will pass them on. I know about the Tubal Cain angle but have often wondered why Pagans would be interested in characters from Judaic legend, even if he is a Seth-like rebel.
John.

-----Original Message-----
From: Manning, Mary C <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:59
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Iron hardware as deterent to witches?

Thanks to everyone for the great comments, insights, and suggestions. A couple
of points and requests for additional information:

Kirsten: Most of my research material pertains to the eighteenth, nineteenth,
and twentieth century in the United States, but occasionally I come across
earlier references. Also, there have been several witch bottles found in the
U.S., but once again they are more recent.

Dave: Brian and I are already in contact, but thanks for the reference. As you
already know, his work is pretty much contained within the U.K., whereas mine is
in the U.S. I occasionally pick his brain for ideas and sources. J

John: I’ll have to check out the Pennick citation. Thanks. Do you happen to have
any citations for scissors as apotropaic devices, particularly under thresholds
(other than Merrifield)?

Mogg: Do you have any citations for this information? If so, I’d love to take a
look at them.

Rose (Pitch?): I don’t know much about modern magic practioners, as I’m an
archaeologist so my focus is more on the historic and material aspect. But I
have come across some general descriptions of blacksmiths as magical. I know of
one paper that looks at the ritual role of the blacksmith in Africa, but I can’t
seem to lay my hands on it at the moment. Let me know if you have any other
citations for blacksmiths and magic. I’d be very interested to look at them.

Cody: Interesting observations. My knowledge of mezuzahs is limited, so I would
be interested in any academic articles concerning their application. I’ll also
check out the links you posted. Thanks!

In addition, last night I was surfing ebay (when I should have been sleeping)
and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220588749247&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I’m not 100% that’s a horseshoe motif—it could just be a stylized decorative
element—but the concept is interesting. Unfortunately I don’t have an extra $200
bucks lying around.