From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Caduceus Books
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] CFP: Satanism conference (Stockholm University, Sweden, Sept 25-27, 2011)

Greetings!

I am not disagreeing with anything posted. I think the right wing/satanist vector is important and should be researched. I would also agree that, as Mogg says, that there are other, very different, vectors operating too.

I just wanted to add two further modes of what might be considered satanism that I have come across whilst researching and preparing texts for publication under the Society of Esoteric Endeavour imprint.

Mid 19th C. Germany. A grimoire using Christian powers to control infernal powers, so that both light and dark, good and evil are evoked.

Once the practitioner has mastered this duality he can control powers of generation, itself a play of polarities.

Late 17th C. France. A literate practitioner of folk magic includes invocations of Satan in his spells to heal and control animals. My interpretation would be that it is the shocking nature of the blasphemy that is considered to have a healing effect. Another spell uses obscenity. There are other examples in folk medicine of people trying to get a judder of  revulsion for healing effect. For example British "Toad Doctors" who might place a toad in its death throes inside the patient's clothes.

With my best wishes

Ben
--

Ben Fernee
Caduceus Books

Private premises, visitors welcome by appointment

Telephone 01455 250542 (+44 1455 250542 from abroad)
Fax       0870 0552982 (+44 870 0552982 from abroad)
Skype     ben.fernee.caduceus

Web page:-  http://www.caduceusbooks.com