That's very interesting. I'm sure more work needs to, and will be, be done
on this topic.

~Caroline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of D E
Sent: Sunday, 6 February 2011 10:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Book of the Law in News 4 wrong reason

am fuzzy on the detail as it was a long time ago when i looked into it
(around 10 years) but *subject to me being wrong on some specifics*

i *think* there is a not very veiled hint in a Kenneth Grant book that AC
switched the dates by a week to avoid the obvious ridicule about his
receiving the foundation text of a new religion starting on April Fools day

someone else (sensible research, can't recall the name) did some credible
work on liner passenger manifests and found a strong suggestion that AC and
Rose were on board ship in the mediterranean on the claimed dates of
dictation

which either adds weight to the Grant hint, or suggests that if the date is
right then the BOTL was written on a ship, and not in Cairo, or they booked
tickets but didn't sail on those dates

i've not been able to look in his diaries of the time to see if anything is
a bit awry, as i had hardly any time at the Warburg when i visited (twice)
and was chasing down 25 other leads at the time, plus other books in the
collection

years ago i discussed this briefly with a few british Thelemites and they
were very put out, as you might expect

dave e