  Caroline et al

> Well, the Hyksos were from the Levant. Anyway, yes, I know Seth is
> Egyptian, and I wonder if his favoring by the "Lords of Avaris" (the
> Hyksos) was in fact a way to challenge native _/Egyptian/_ Pharaonic
> kingship -- it being symbolically associated with Osiris and Horus,
> and Seth being in combat with them in various myths... I wonder
> whether the Hyksos were sort of threatening the native Egyptian
> monarchy by being overtly Seth-like, and yes, I know Seth goes through
> phases of popularity and un-popularity within Egypt too.
>
> Its a great thesis and one that I hope you can expand as I'd
> personally love to see more research on that aspect of the Hyksos -
>
> One thing that sticks in my mind is the whole business of their
> complaints to the Upper Egyptians Kings of how the Hippos (sethian beasts)

are keeping them awake at night with their roaring. Seems an odd
complaint from supposed Sethians -
thus I wonder how much they really followed the Sethian mythology?
Also how would this fit with the rise of the New Kingdom "Sethian"
kingship, the Ramessides etc ??
AFAIK the Hyksos bring the Iron age (from the Levant) into Egypt - Iron
again,
  and perhaps another reason why they favour Seth?
When and where do they go? Into Palestine?

Mogg