ED making a loss? really? I have been trying to extract accurate data from our trust for nearly a year now, they seem genuinely unable to tell us how much we earn them. It is not disputed though that we earn them millions - through our CDU. A figure of £6m was mentioned, probably an exaggeration  but certainly we bail out the medical directorate, who make a loss of 1-2 million. Useful info when we come to fighting reductions in department spending.
Its all just arbitrary numbers, of course, a result of back of an envelope 'costs' being ascribed to episodes and procedures, so justifying our huge army of support staff.
Steve Meek
North Bristol

From: Adrian Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, 19 February, 2011 22:02:26
Subject: Re: Efficiency Gains in the NHS - aka cuts

I work next door to Hinchingbrooke and within a couple of months Circle asked our hospital to take over the ED and Maternity services. These are the two departments that always make a loss for hospitals. Our hospital declined, partly because running these services on our own site is hard enough.

Adrian