From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cadbury, Tabitha (COMMUNITY SERVICES)
Sent: 13 January 2011 11:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SHCG-LIST] FW: paperweight with brass fist

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------

The only thing I would add is that late C19th/early C20th folklorists tended to see the clenched fist holding a straight object motif as a phallic symbol. I have just found a reference to this effect in an Edward Lovett letter (who was Lovett? See http://england.prm.ox.ac.uk/englishness-Edward-Lovett.html). However those chaps had a tendency to see very many things as phallic symbols. I have my doubts as to whether the people using the motifs see them in that way.

Tabitha